Application architecture refers to the high level structures of a Application system, the discipline of creating such structures, and the documentation of these structures. Each structure comprises software elements, relations among them, and properties of both elements and relations. The architecture of a Application is a metaphor, analogous to the architecture of a building.
Why Web Application architecture necessary?
- Track Architecture activities: An application architect typically works with project managers, discusses architecturally significant requirements with stakeholders, designs a software architecture, evaluates a design, communicates with designers and stakeholders, documents the architectural design and more. These many activities that a software architect performs needs to be tracked for evaluation.
- Architectural Analysis process: It is the of understanding the environment in which a proposed system or systems will operate and determining the requirements for the system. The input or requirements to the analysis activity can come from any number of stakeholders and include items such as: how well the system will perform run-time non-functional requirements such as reliability, operability, performance efficiency, security, compatibility, maintainability and transfer ability defined in standard business requirements.
- Architecture Evolution process: The maintaining and adapting an existing software architecture to meet requirement and environmental changes. As software architecture provides a fundamental structure of a software system, its evolution and maintenance would necessarily impact its fundamental structure. As such, architecture evolution is concerned with adding new functionality as well as maintaining existing functionality and system behavior.
- Critical supporting activities: Architecture requires critical supporting activities. These supporting activities take place throughout the core software architecture process. They include knowledge management and communication, design reasoning and decision making, and documentation.
If you want to learn more about Web Application architecture and follow some tutorial to extend t's best practices, here follow this list:
1. Web Architecture Pocket Guide
The purpose of this Guide is to improve your effectiveness when building Web applications on the Microsoft platform. The primary audience is solution architects and development leads. The guide provide s design -level guidance for the architecture and design of Web applications built on the .NET Platform. It focuses on partitioning application functionality into layers, components, and services, and walks through their key design characteristics.
2. Web application architecture : principles, protocols, and practices
This provides in-depth examination of the core concepts and general principles of web application development, using examples from specific technologies. This conceptual knowledge is critical when designing, developing and debugging complex systems, and makes it easier to learn the new application programming interfaces (APIs) that arise in the rapidly changing Internet environment.
3. Microsoft Application Architecture Guide
The guide is intended to help developers and solution architects design and build effective, high quality applications using the Microsoft platform and the .NET Framework more quickly and with less risk; Understand the underlying architecture and design principles and patterns for developing successful solutions on the Microsoft platform and the .NET Framework. Identify appropriate strategies and design patterns that will help you design your solution's layers, components, and services.
4. Web Application Architecture
It teaches 3 Agenda Web application, components and Web container, Technologies used in Web application ,Web application development and deployment steps, Web Application Archive ( *.WAR file ) – *.WAR directory structure – WEB-INF subdirectory , Configuring Web application – Web application deployment descriptor ( web.xml file )
5. Modeling Web Application
Its a simple book helps you to understand Web architecture and teach you the basic factor about modeling.