During the photo editing process, a photographer can completely alter a photo to tell a completely different story. This is why many opt to create an astonishing movie look in their images. Let’s take a look at some ways in which you could use photo editing tricks to give your photo a great cinematic effect.
A couple of basics to understand
Additionally, a majority of contemporary films take place in an urban setting, and this should probably be your first choice when choosing the right image. Additionally, learn to shoot in different types of weather, because it is going to allow you telling your stories more effectively through your photos.
Also, to keep your original image safe; you are going to work on a duplicated layer.
Making the choice
Now, picking a movie look, you wish to replicate is a completely personal choice. The point is to make the whole process enjoyable for you. There are older types of movies you might be interested in replicating and, on the other hand, someone else might like the contemporary film better.
To get an idea of what you want to achieve, you can do your online research on Flickr, photography blogs and various other places, to see what people have done, and how they have done it. This is going to help you decide what you would like to convey with your images.
For example, a great starting point is to recreate a look from one of your favorite films.
The Lightroom and Photoshop method
- Take the RAW image you wish to add effects to and load it into Lightroom
- Split toning should be your primary focus. It is the perfect tool for changing the look of your photo by editing the color. Depending on the film, you can either make the photo warmer or colder. Also, there are other things you can play with, such as vibrance, saturation, blacks, color temperature, white balance, luminance, and shadows. Each of these things will allow you to change the look and feel of a photo greatly. There are also effects such as vignetting you could add, but it solely depends on the style of the photo and the look you wish to achieve. Also, remember to add a bit of grain, as it naturally appears in movies. Another useful feature you should play with is contrast, as movies have a much higher dynamic range than photos.
- Once you are done adjusting the look of the photo, it is time to export it to Photoshop.
- The first thing you are going to do in PS is to add a solid black layer under the background layer.
- Now it is time to rely on the Marquee tool to pick a ratio of 16:9. The width should be 16, whereas the height should be set to 9. This is going to generate a widescreen image. Once you have set these parameters, it is time to use the marquee to cover the crop area.
- After dragging the marquee, you can go to the Crop setting an input a ratio of 2.35:1. This is going to create an anamorphic look. However, do not crop the image; add an Adjustment Layer instead.
- Now, click on the “link” symbol. This is going to unlink the Adjustment layer and the image.
- Once you have done this, you can go to the Layers panel and apply the mask on the image.
- Depending on your operating system, it is time to press either the Ctrl or the Cmd button and the A key. This is going to highlight the whole document. Now you can apply a Layer Mask by making a right click on the Adjustment Layer.
- Finally, you can now select the whole document and select Align Layers to Selection in the Layers menu. Once you have done that, you can do the same for vertical centers.
This is only one of the possibilities in which you can add cinematic effects to your photos. There are many other options out there. Photoshop services are extremely useful, as there is always the possibility of finding free or cheap presets that will help you achieve your goals in a much shorter time. These plugins and presets are created by professionals who are already offering photo editing services.
It all comes down to whether you want to express your creativity completely, or you want to get the job done. It is best to go with the option that makes you happy. As you are probably looking for a way to learn more, the online world is your friend. You are going to easily find plenty of resources that will help you improve your Photoshop skills, making it easier for you to add that cinematic look to your photos.